Hi Bill,

Thanks - that's the problem.  I had been using the version from
https://www.partha.com/ which has a few extra bits and pieces
incorporated.  All works with the official release. I think the problem
with the version I was using might be that C:\Program
Files\GIMP-2.10.0-std\GIMP-2.10.0-std.exe actually seems to spawns another
executable (the real gimp) and then presumably exits, allowing the lua
script to continue.  Anyway all is well now.

Thanks again.

Jim