On Mon, 14 May 2018 11:23:58 -0400
Anton Aylward <li...@antonaylward.com> wrote:

> On 13/05/18 05:36 AM, ternaryd wrote:
> > I'm using darktable with three monitors, but
> > have one of them rotated.
>
> You mean like the way GIMP does it?

I'm unaware of how Gimp does it.

> I've asked about this and been told  it isn't
> possible because of the basic architecture
> of DT screen handling.

darktable is a gtk3 application which of course
can open another window. So it's hardly
impossible.

> I would love to have a system where the
> "data" part of an application can be put on
> one screen and the "controls" on another.

I don't mind if the window on the cheap monitor
continues just the same, not just the controls.
After all, darktable does allow to resize those.

> There are many text editors that claim to be
> things like 'modeless' and with without a
> control panel or ribbon. Their logic is that
> focus on the editing and remove all other
> distractions.
>
> I'm not sure that rationalization holds for
> image editing, but certainly maximizing
> image size -- putting it on your largest
> screen and having nothing else on that screen
> -- makes sense. After all, eve in one screen
> mode we can *view*, and > *only* view the
> image by making the left, right, top and
> bottom panels go away with the little
> triangle controls. So we have a large image
> but on controls.

why should it be view-only?

> Heck, in many applications, LibreOffice,
> Okular and others, I can 'unlock' the the
> tool bar and drag&drop it elsewhere, even on
> another screen. Is this an attribute of the
> application or of KDE or Gnome? I think it is
> the application.

Now I think to understand what is meant with
"architecture" of darktable. The collapsible
panels look rather non-standard, so maybe there
is a point to it in terms of the effort tearing
off those panels into independent windows.

I know little about UI and C++ programming, but
I guess that opening that other view and linking
events to existing handlers could be an
addition rather than an alteration of existing
code. Memory management might be an issue
though. Also, it might be harder to allow for a
simultaneously second icc profile, and that
would be important to the usefulness.

Like always, it looks easier as long one
doesn't attempt to do it. But I still believe
it would be a great addition to this type of
application.