I'd be perfectly happy to get rid of the database and use sidecar
files exclusively at least as an option.  I prefer a different tool
for managing my image collection (KPhotoAlbum) and just use dt for
image processing.

Maybe if you use ":memory:" as a library it would work for you.

man darktable
--library <library file>
           darktable keeps image information in an sqlite database for fast
           access.  The default location of that database file is
           "$HOME/.config/darktable/library.db".  You may give an alternative
           location, e.g. if you want to do some experiments without
           compromising your original library.db.  If the database file does
           not exist, darktable creates it for you.  You may also give
           ":memory:" as a library file in which case the database is kept in
           system memory - all changes are discarded when darktable
           terminates.

I cannot advice on how to tie it with KPhotoAlbum ... but you can import an image, process it and then remove it. (the Darktable DB works well for me - in majority of cases)

Regards,