> On 20 Aug 2018, at 10:47, Per Östlund <peros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Does your Macs have much higher resolution than your other computers perhaps?
> There's an old issue that causes the lighttable to be almost unusably slow on
> very high resolutions like 4K, and Macs tend to have very high resolution
> screens.

All my Macs have Retina displays, but the MacBook is a 13” and has a comparable
resolution to the Surface. Nevertheless, Darktable is much more usable on
Windows than on the (faster) MacBook.

> See https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/10764 (the bug tracker seems to have
> some issues right now though).

All the SSL certificates under *.darktable.org seem to have expired yesterday,
and whoever is managing the LetsEncrypt setup probably forgot to turn on
auto-renew :)

> Just moving the mouse cursor around on the lighttable will cause 100% CPU
> usage if that's the issue you're having.

CPU load does increase a fair bit when I move the mouse. Not up to 100%, but
rather too much for comfort. Reading through the issue description does make it
seem like the entire lighttable is being redrawn on every mouse move, which is…
sobering. From the descriptions there doesn’t seem to be enough event filtering
to figure out if the redraws are warranted.

> One workaround is to make the darktable window smaller, since the issue seems
> to get exponentially worse the larger the window is.

Well, that kind of negates the point of having a lighttable… One of the reasons
I switched to Darktable is the library management features, and the (relative)
ease for triaging shots…

Thanks for the enlightening reply,

R.