Hi there,

I’ve been using Darktable for over a year now, and find it slightly awkward
that the Mac version is much less performant (I’ll explain exactly why in a
second) than the Linux and Windows ones.

I’m comparing it across four machines:

- iMac 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
- MacBook 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM
- Acer C720 1.4 GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB RAM (Ubuntu)
- Surface Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM

When handling the exact same set of photos (no RAW, only 200 JPEGs up to 16Mpx,
synced via Dropbox), the Mac version struggles to do basic navigation, lagging
a lot when compared to the Linux and Windows versions.

Photo manipulation is faster, but it is as if the GTK<->Cocoa layer imposed a
half-second lag on every keypress, which is very noticeable when browsing
images in the light table, and makes simple operations like rating and multiple
selection almost impossible to perform in a single attempt.

Even selecting presets and file navigation (just the UI, not the actions
themselves) feel unbearably slow, and it is awkward to fire up the little
Ubuntu netbook and have things work snappily (UI-wise).

On Windows (10), things work OK, other than minor oddities with the trackpad
handling (which I’ll defer to another thread). I don’t see anywhere near as
much lag as on the Mac.

I’ve gone through the mailing-list archives (yeah, that sort of pegs my age)
and have seen little or no mention of Mac issues, so I’m guessing there are few
people using Darktable on macOS, and no hints as to the causes or likely
resolution.

I’ve also been tracking https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/10887#change-35040
for a while, but would like to know if there are more folk with the same issues.

(Also, I’ll be filing an issue on the way full screen is handled, since dialog
boxes work quite poorly in that mode — they’re always stretched to the full
display, which is kind of awkward in the case of yes/no prompts on a 27”
display…)

Cheers,