I'm running ubuntu 18.04 and running multiple versions of darktable.  I
have 2.4.4 installed from Pascal's PPA.  I've also downloaded and compiled
the current git and installed it at /opt/darktable25.  Then I've got the
current release candidate installed at /opt/darktable26.  I created a bin
directory in my home directory and made one line scripts to start the git
and release candidates with their own config directories, i.e.:

~/bin/darktable25
/opt/darktable25/bin/darktable --configdir $HOME/.config/darktable25

~/bin/darktable26
/opt/darktable26/bin/darktable --configdir $HOME/.config/darktable26

and a clean version of the release candidate
~/bin/darktable26c
/opt/darktable26/bin/darktable --configdir $HOME/.config/darktable26clean

I keep my 2.4.4 images in ~/Pictures/Darktable, 2.5 in
~/Pictures/Darktable25, release candidate in ~/Pictures/Darktable26

Bill