Hi Bruce,

Maybe this might help to see if your flow of the build is the same as
mine (which works, although it is scripted by now):

I'm assuming that /home/darktable/darktable is the dir that git puts the
clone into.

All this should be done as a normal user! If you have been mixing normal user
and root user make sure that the /home/darktable/darktable directory is
removed before you do the following:

To get a clean copy use:

 cd /home/darktable/
 git clone https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git

The above will not work if there is already a cloned version present. You need
to remove the content from the darktable directory first.
Normally you only do this once. But there are legitimate reason to do this
more often.

You also need the rawspeed module:

 git submodule init
 git submodule update

To update an already present clone:

 cd /home/darktable/darktable
 git pull

And update rawspeed:

 git submodule update

To build:

You need a clean build dir so: If present delete and then create a build
directory:

 cd /home/darktable/darktable
 rm -rf build      # ignore error of non-existing directory
 mkdir build
 cd build

Run the cmake and make commands (most simple form shown):

 cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
 make

Install by running:

 sudo make install.

To check version:

 /opt/darktable/bin/darktable --version

Hope this helps.

My output looks like:

/opt/darktable/bin/darktable --version
this is darktable 2.7.0+1954~g50ad5ba6c
copyright (c) 2009-2019 johannes hanika
darktable-...@lists.darktable.org

compile options:
  bit depth is 64 bit
  normal build
  SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
  OpenMP support enabled
  OpenCL support disabled
  Lua support enabled, API version 5.0.2
  Colord support enabled
  gPhoto2 support enabled
  GraphicsMagick support enabled
  OpenEXR support enabled

Op Mon, 7 Oct 2019 22:17:17 +1100
Bruce Williams Schreef:

> OK, so it seems that doing "sudo cmake...." was part of the solution.
> That resulted in a completed log with no errors.
> But I'm still on the same version I was on before.
> 2.7.0 (and no string of characters after it, like I've seen in other
> people's screenshots).
> Which makes me think I have not refreshed from git correctly.
> I've issued this command:
>
> git clone https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git
>
> The tail end of which shows:
>
> release-2.6.0rc0
> release-2.6.0rc1
> release-2.6.0rc2
> release-2.6.1
> release-2.6.2
> release-2.7.0
>
> This makes me think I'm not seeing the daily builds.
> Do I need some other git clone command in order to see the daily versions?
> Sorry for sounding like a complete noob. It's just that I'm a complete
> noob. :)
> Cheers,
> Bruce Williams

The dead stay dead and the living only wait to join them.