Jacques,

*First of all: I noticed you are part of darktable's documentation team. In*

*that capacity do you commit your work/changes, using git, to the
repositoryin any way?*
I know NOTHING about how git works! :)
Yes, I'm helping with the documentation, but only in a copy-editing sense.
And that input is being facilitated by adding comments to the threaded
conversation on github.
Someone else (Pascal, I think) then merges my edits with the master.

*I'm asking because I've been assuming that you only want to get the
latestdevelopment version on your linux box to play around with.*

Correct.

*Are you by any chance pulling darktable from outside the main branche?*

No idea! :)

*Have you tried to install a 2.7.0 .deb package in the near past byany
chance?*

Nope.

Because of your mention about 'git pull' saying 'already up to date': It's
not clear to me if you tried my instructions or have been working with your
existing copy and used mine as a rough reference only.

Tried both. Followed all of your instructions, as well as tried combining
your instructions with the instructions found at
https://redmine.darktable.org/projects/darktable/wiki/Building_darktable_20

*Starting clean might be a good idea (that is assuming you haven't
alreadytried).*
Yeah, tried that, too.

I have just followed your cmd line output to the letter.
Everything appeared the same for me as you got.
Once I got to the end of it all, I ran ./build.sh
It failed.
Because I'm a numpty who didn't put sudo at the head of the cmake command.
:)
Once I did add sudo, it worked!

Thanks heaps for your help! Much appreciated. :)

Is there a reasonably approachable set of instructions that I can read up
on all this?
Seems to me there's a lot of incantations, spells, and dancing around in
the moonlight to make this shit happen, and I don't understand what all the
instructions actually mean.
But I'd like to learn.

Cheers,
Bruce Williams