On samedi 28 décembre 2019 11:33:44 CET Victor wrote:
> On my linux box (Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic), after having used the official
> package DT 2.6.2 from the ubuntu repository for a while, I recently
> installed DT 2.6.3~git2.22c690a53 from a deb package I had found in the
> net. Now I read that there is also a stable DT version 3.0.0 available
> from sources (that, by the way, in spite of some glitches due to
> dependencies, I've been able to compile and use under a dedicated test
> user) and a 3.2.0 is under way. I confess that I'm completely confused
> by the versioning system of DT.
>
> 1-Could someone of you clarify this point to me (or point me to some
> article explaining it to me)?
>
> 2-Being a 'quiet man', not loving the 'bleeding edges' as far as
> programs are concerned, what is your suggested version I should stick to?

programs, though not all follow this schema).

In general, a change in the <major> number means extra functionality, and
usually an incompatibility with older versions. That means side cars and
perhaps the database of older versions will be readable for the latest
version, but older versions will not be able to read sidecars or the database
written to by the latest version. (As the sidecars are XML, they will probably
be read in any case, but the effects might not be what you want...).

A change in the <minor> number often indicates changes in functionality with
no compatibility issues.

A change in the <patched> number indicates bug fixes only.

Some cases also distinguish dev/stable versions in the numbering, in that case
the dev versions are often not published for public consumption (or clearly
marked as dev versions, i.e. "use at your own risk").

So in general, you'll want to use the highest version number published for
general use, unless that is marked as a dev version for testing. Some prefer
skipping x.0.0 versions as well.

Remco