I only edit few images outside of DT because most of the time they don't need extra editing. But when I do edit images in Gimp, DT saves them as tiff file next to the original raw file, so they are 'linked'.

I tag images at the end when all editing is done, so then I won't have issues with untagged images because I tag the raw and tiff files at the end.