I don't think the developers are fighting; browsing the github comments, it
seems they agree on the new approach. Aurélien's work would not have been
merged of that were not the case.

If you read the blog entry for the original filmic, you can find mention of
some drawbacks of the base curve:

https://www.darktable.org/2018/12/darktable-26/
"*filmic* is meant to be used without the *base curve* module (activated by
default in darktable). The base curve comes very early in the pipeline and
yields a contrasty image where highlights are often blown out. Recovering
details lost by the base curve is difficult."

RawTherapee has also gone through a similar process: first offering a base
curve, then Lab, then CIECAM, then two base curves with different modes of
application (probably not the exact order). I think this is just the result
of the developers learning more about image processing, both individually
and as a group (e.g. with new people joining and bringing more ideas).

Kofa