What was the exact text in the error message? And how exactly are you
"opening an image" when you see the error message?

On my system I don't seem to have exiftool, but I do have exiv2, which I
think is a later implementation. I installed it using MacPorts. I'm just
wondering if there may be some dependencies in that build that rely on some
of the tools installed in MacPorts, then didn't get bundled into the dmg
file.

The information about which packages I installed under Macports ports are
given in the darktable build instructions for Mac:
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/blob/master/packaging/macosx/BUILD.txt

It might be enough just to install MacPorts and use it to install exiv2
(sudo port install exiv2). However to install MacPorts you probably need to
install the Mac developer's kit, so it be a bit complicated. Maybe
installing exiv2 via homebrew would be more straightforward. I think
homebrew would place the command in /usr/local/bin, which should be in your
default system path and so the darktable tool should be able to pick it up:
https://brew.sh/