Hi,

I'm a bit late to the party...

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 09:37 Alex, <a...@poldie.com> wrote:

> I’m worried that I might get the wrong one and I won’t get opencl to play
> with Dark table. Is there a manufacturer, chipset, model etc I should be
> going for, or avoiding?

I've been happy with Nvidia and (K)Ubuntu. (Mint is nice, but not being
updated as frequently as Ubuntu can be an issue with drivers, kernels and
libraries, I think.) I've been advised here that I don't need high-end for
decent performance, but I should make sure it has plenty of RAM. I went
with a cheap, used GTX 1060 with 6GB of RAM. Of course your machine is much
more powerful than mine, so you may want to spend a bit more, to make sure
your card does not hold back the rest of the system. With my card, the
ancient Core2 Duo / 4GB PC performs rather well (without significant lag)
for most operations.

General editing advice: don't go overboard. Darktable has lots of modules,
but many of them are deprecated. Check out Aurelien Pierre's YouTube
channel, and also 'Editing moments with Darktable'. Aurelien is a core
developer; 'Editing moments' concentrates not on modules, but on images.

Kofa