* Archie Macintosh <archie...@gmx.co.uk> [01-31-20 15:37]:
> That's interesting, Matt. So, let's say I want to edit an
> out-of-camera JPG file in darktable (which can be useful for Fuji
> shooters!); is it advisable first to convert the JPG to, say, a 32bit
> TIF before editing it?
>
> mac
>
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 at 19:09, Matt Maguire <matthew.magu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The thing is, you have a limited number of bits per pixel, and human
> > perception of changes in brightness fall off logarithmically as things get
> > brighter. So, to make sure you get the most “bang for your bits”, you want
> > smaller quantisation steps for low intensity and bigger quantisation steps
> > at higher intensities. L*a*b achieves this by using a (non-linear) gamma
> > encoding.
> >
> > In the case of linear RBG, if you use floating point numbers, they consist
> > of a mantissa and an exponent (like in scientific notation), so as things
> > get brighter, the quantisation steps naturally get larger due to the fixed
> > precision of the mantissa. So, using floating point numbers for linear RBG
> > representations is actually pretty important.
> >
> > On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 at 2:03 am, David Vincent-Jones <david...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> darktable's use of floating point calculation, as I understand it, was
> >> important for maintaining accuracy through L*a*b processing. Is this
> >> still valid as the emphasis in processing shifts to RGB? The reason that
> >> I ask this is to question whether RGB modules still are greatly helped
> >> by the use of OpenCL.

the computations withing dt are floating point.  number base of the image
file is not a concern.  two different points.  and any conversion may
introduce differences to original image, ie: the converted image in not an
original, but a close representation of the original.

ps: your chosen email client does not wrap lines so what you see is what
you get.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode