Hi,

Assuming you use Linux: you can install fslint or dupeguru. E.g.
https://connectwww.com/2-best-ways-to-find-and-remove-duplicate-files-on-ubuntu/5286/

For photos (images), digikam has a tool that can even compare by
content(!). https://userbase.kde.org/Digikam/Duplicates

(Sorry, I'm not good at darktable's DAM features; I don't use them.
Usually, I only have one set of images ('film roll' - which I find
sounds rather weird in this age) in darktable; I process the photos
and remove all images from the DB, then import the next.)

Kofa