No it does not. To be clear I'm talking about an SD-card-reader that is
internal to the machine (2 actually, an HP laptop & Lenovo desktop).

I've seen a YouTube video where things work as you described earlier, but the
SD-card reader is a USB peripheral. There appears to be a difference how Linux
handles a internal SD-Card reader vs. a USB peripheral device. The latter
appearing as a "camera-like" device to DT that allow file copy during the
import process.

--
Rod