I agree with the below. My system is pretty simple: one folder for each
year, and then each folder named yyyy-mm-dd-description, one for each
day in the year folders. I do try and use keywords in darktable though,
but I am kind of lazy with regards to that :( :(

I use an rsync script to back up all my folders to various external hard
drives.

Jason