I pretty much follow the system Terry follows, but my back up regime differs. I am very fortunate that prior to Covid shutdown, a friend in the Linux Users of Victoria (Australia), spent a lot of time with me modifying and testing scripts that he created for his brother's medical practice.

My working directory is on my SSD, and I have a RAID1 pair of disks for storage once the work is done. I also have a 3Tb external hard drive plugged in. As soon as my system detects activity in my working directory it starts copying the RAW files to my external drive. So I have two copies until my work is done, at which point I move my RAW files from my SSD to a RAW files folder on my RAID. Then my system detects that the RAW files are now safe and deletes them from the External Hard drive (bear in mind no sidecar files are associated with that set of RAW files).

So with all of this belt and braces thing going on, it would be too much to expect DT to keep track. So I do not use the cataloging process of DT, but I understand that it is pretty clever if you just want to dump all of your images to one folder (which of course, can be backed up)

Bruce Williams explains that process very nicely in his excellent series of videos on YouTube.

Understanding Darktable

Cheers

Andrew Greig