On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 14:03:00 +0200 (CEST)
Jean-Luc CECCOLI <jean-luc.cecc...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> > Message du 26/06/20 22:55
> > De : "Willy Williams"
> > A : darktable-user@lists.darktable.org
> > Copie à :
> > Objet : Re: [darktable-user] Turning Darktable into a file manager
> >

> > If I were to prioritize darktable for either image editing or
> > digital asset management, I'd choose image editing and manually
> > place files in locations where they make sense to me to be.  It the
> > developers could do both, great, but keep the priority on image
> > editing.  One thing that really irritates me about Lightroom is
> > that Adobe pretty much dictates how one should manage their own
> > files.  I'll choose my own structure and process for digital asset
> > management and to hell with Adobe.
>
> +1.
> This is sensible.
> There are many tools that can deal with file management, let them do
> their job and let dt do what it does the best. And bear in mind that
> if you force someone to do something he does not believe in, it may
> not be what it ought have been.
>
> Rgrds,
>
> J.-Luc

The file system on my Olympus uses the first digit on the photo (1 - 9
A - C) as the month taken. I keep the photos in the 12 monthly folders
inside a year photo. I also got into the habit of not reusing my SD
card. I end up with a quantity of numbered SD card and spread sheet in
LibreOffice with the card number, Camera, first file, last file, start
and end date, short description of contents. This works for me, may not
for a power user.

If someone could develop an independent optional DAM like module then
those who would want it can have the ad-on.