Correct, previously I was trying to get monochrome applied automatically. But, aside from knowing that I was not trying to do that in this case, please note that I have not said the whole image is in monochrome; only a selection of pixels have turned a sort of 'polluted' grey - with, apparently, some red in them. I don't see how this can be the result of some preset as, as part of this learning exercise, I have performed a clean install of DT and all my test images, newly copied from LightRoom. None of this answers the question of how did the monochrome module get into the history stack in the first place. Of course one valid explanation is that I am so intellectually stunted that I do things  without realising it or perform actions with no idea of their consequences. If this were the case,  would I be able to use DT at all?