Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your help.

On Fri, 2020-08-14 at 12:48 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Tony Arnold <
> tony.arn...@manchester.ac.uk
> > [08-14-20 11:46]:
> > I've not used DT for while and now when I try to run it I get asked
> > if
> > I want to upgrade the database, but this fails.
> >
> > Running DT from a terminal, I get the following messages:
> >
> > $ darktable
> > [init] can't rename i to images
> > [init]   error in view empty_film_rolls: no such table: main.images
> > [init] database `library.db' couldn't be upgraded from version 21
> > 30. aborting
> > ERROR : cannot open database
> >
> > I have DT version 3.2.1 installed.
>
> guessing here but perhaps someone more knowledgeable will responed.
>
> you have skipped several versions of dt?

Yes. DT has updated from the Ubuntu repository but I hadn't rune the
new versions so the databases didn't get updated/

> make a backup of your library.db
> run
>    sqlite3 ./library.db "PRAGMA integrity_check"
>    sqlite3 ./library.db "VACUUM"
>
> and try again with the new library.db

This made no difference at all!

> else you might try to install an earlier version dt which is later
> than
> your previous version.
>   ie: previous was 2.6.x, install 3.0
> and try with your library before 3.2.1

I reverted my database to data.db-pre-3.0.1 and library.db-pre-3.0.1
and then installed dt 3.0.1 which was still available in the repos.

This converted the database and ran successfully, however, 3.2.1 still
failed when converting the databases.

I then downloaded and built 3.0.2 which also ran against the 3.0.1
database, but I was not prompted for any database conversion.

3.2.1 still failed to convert the database, so I'm thinking there is
another version between 3.0.2 and 3.2.1 but I cannot find one anywhere.

Is there another version? And if so where can I download it from?

Or any other ideas as to where to go from here?

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT
Services | Office 1, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester |