It is really worth investing the time in learning DT. As an editing program
it leaves LR for dead. Yes Adobe has made a very easy to use product.
Rather than complicated modules just a few sliders and you have a good
image. LR is like an automatic car. DT is a high performance sports car.
Depends what you are happy to settle for. I have LR so my preference is not
based on what I am willing to pay for, but which program is more capable.
For me, Darktables drawn paths to localise adjustments leaves the
adjustment brush in LR looking a little sad.

Dr Terry Pinfold
Cytometry & Histology Lab Manager
Lecturer in Flow Cytometry
University of Tasmania