Am 01.10.20 um 14:06 schrieb Marco:
Hi,

this is a very similar question than the one asked yesterday. But the
focus is on opensource drivers.

I need a new graphic card. So I searched the manual and mailing list
what are the options, but I'm still unsure. A lot of information is or
might be outdated. Although this questions has been asked a dozen times
already, I couldn't find a definite recent answer.

My needs

- opensource drivers (if at all possible)
- should work out-of-the-box with no (or little) fiddling

My system:

- Debian stable (might be able to upgrade to testing, if required)
- currently kernel 4.19
- Xeon E-2288G
- 16GiB RAM

The manual¹ states:

   The OpenCL compiler is normally shipped as part of the proprietary
   graphics driver…

So this indicates that opensource drivers might not work at all
(meaning: no opencl) and proprietary drivers are mandatory. But maybe
not, the manual is vague stating “normally”. ...

If you use AMD, you can expect a reasonable speed with the opensource
driver out of the box.
As far as I know, not so with Nvidia.

I went with AMD on my openSUSE Leap and use amdgpu-pro.

There is really a significant difference between opensource and
propriatary driver when exporting pictures (2 to 3 times on my
computer). But this process is the final step. When while modifying a
single picture I hardly notice the differnce between the two drivers.
(AMD Ryzen 1700, AMD rx-460)

As you use Debian, the following link might help:

A quote
"... you need to edit the "amdgpu-pro-install"-file. Change the string
"ubuntu" to debian or debianlinux or so.
The string "ubuntu" you can find in function os_release() ..."

https://community.amd.com/thread/220723

Peter