With the new version of Darktable, I believe they expanded the options
available in the light table's "sort by" combo box, so an existing
setting may have been disrupted.

Also, I believe the light table collections are always sorted by every
criterion in that list -- the one selected by the user is just given the
priority, but within the equivalence classes created by that one, the
others are still used. For example, when I am sorting by "time" and have
two images with the same timestamp, and apply a color label to one,
their order is switched in the light table.

--
August Schwedfeger
aug...@schwerdfeger.name