Using a Nikon D7100 with an USB cable,
darktable 3.2.1 tethering works to display the
last shot. But changing to lighttable or
darkroom is enough to have it enter something
like a very fast endless loop. darktable
becomes completely unresponsive, CPU load goes
up and there is no way to stop it but using
kill.

Also, once live view is activated, there is no
way leaving it to regain control at the camera.
And trying to do so, often ends with darktable
hanging (it works, closing darktable before
turning off the camera).

When taking the shot from darktable, the files
are stored on the computer but not on the
memory cards, regardless of the preference
setting for ''keep original filename''. That,
BTW, seems to be a misnomer, as the downloaded
files never keep the original name given by the
camera. Also, the numbering scheme of the
camera is disrupted (my workflow relies on
those numbers). As I've never been able to make
this work directly with gphoto2, I guess this
is not a problem of darktable.