Hi Peter,

assuming that from Switzerland you might understand German you might have a look at
https://www.bilddateien.de/blog/2017-12-28-darktable-backup-der-configuration.html
where I put a detailed description of darktable backups.

From this you can easily see which file in which directory has which task/function.
Then you can decide what files you migrate to the new system.

As the others pointed out it is best to migrate within the same version of darktable from one System to another.

Given that MacOS has a similar folder structure as Linux I do not see a major stumbling block (as on the other hand moving from Windows to Linux with all those Drive Letters e. g. which might confuse the database). This means that if you also migrate your profile folder with database and settings it would be wise to have the same directory tree structure to your main image folder within your home directory on both systems.

--

regards
Bernhard

https://www.bilddateien.de