On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 17:53:59 +0000
tony Hamilton <shaky.st...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> myself, failing to understand the
> implications of 'input' in 'input profile'.

An input color profile just tells darktable
the meaning of the numbers in the input file.
If this is a raw file from your camera, and if
you've prepared a specific profile for that, you
can replace the standard matrix which is used
by default.

> how to tell dt where my icc profile
> is

You don't. darktable has a few places where to
look for input profiles. If you open the input
color profile module and hover the mouse over
the text "input profile", darktable will tell
you, where. A typlical place is
~/.config/darktable/color/in. Whatever is
there, darktable will give you a choice for the
image you are working on.

Beware, darktable won't show you a file name
but the name which is within that profile.
Having there two versions of the same profile,
might give you two equal entries in the menu,
even if the file names are different.

> I did calibrate the monitor, using SpyderX and
> its calibration software,

The monitor is an output device. If this is not
available throuch Xatoms or colord, you can
choose it in lighttable, the monitor icon at
the left lower corner of the central area.

> but under Windows

I'm not a Windows user, but I would expect
argyll and displaycal to be available. You
don't need them to use darktable. You only need
them, if you want to prepare your own profiles.
You can use any other method to do so. As long
as the resulting profiles are valid, darktable
should be able to use them. For creating new
profiles, you might want to search for help on
the argyll mailing list.

> how colour management is implemented in dt.

darktable can use the system wide color
management settings, but offers you the options
to make specific choices for each image you
edit.