Am 31.12.20 um 14:43 schrieb Jim Robinson:
see: https://www.darktable.org/about/faq/ <https://www.darktable.org/about/faq/> (about half way down the page)

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 at 11:17, Tom Whale <darktable-u...@walbert.eu <mailto:darktable-u...@walbert.eu>> wrote:

    Hello Users,
    I'm new to darktable (3.4.0), just doing my first steps with it.
    At the moment, I'm struggling with importing photos from my camera
    (Canon EOS600D).
    After connecting the camera to my PC (Windows10) via USB, Windows
    finds the camera and asks me what to do. But whatever I choose, the
    camera won't get visible in darktable. So I cannot import from it. I
    googled and searched the manuals but the only hint I found was

     > If you don’t see your camera listed in the import module, press
    the “scan for devices” button.

    But where is that button?
    Am I missing something?
    When disconnecting the camera, darktable shows for a short time the
    message "Locked: Canon 600D on USB001:022" or similar.

Hi Jim,
You will find the Scan For Devices button in the left uppermost part of lighttable view. Make sure you have scrolled up there!! There you will find the Import section with the tabs Picture and directory. That is it. Why not copy your photos from your camera to your hdd and then import them (directory button) to your DT database in a second step? Besides your problem might be that your windows as well as DT want to simultaneously acces your camera via usb. That probably daesn't work. If you for reasons I don't know have to directly import from you camera try to disconnect your camera from Windows (little icon in your taskbar I think - I am on Linux). This way DT could have exclusive access to your camera. At least that is the way it works for tethering.

HTH
Henning