On mardi 5 janvier 2021 00:37:09 CET Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Tanya Riseman <tanya.rise...@gmail.com> [01-04-21 18:20]:
> > You are supposed to use the tone equalizer module instead of the zone
> > system module now. According to the manual, zone system is deprecated.
> >
> > This really disappoints me.
> >
> > The zone system is pretty easy for beginners to pick up. (I've only used
> > DT
> > since August.) The 2D image of the different zones in the picture is
> > really
> > handy and I don't think it appears in any other modules.
> >
> > The tone equalizer is much harder to get up to speed with. It lacks a 2D
> > zone image. It only has crosshairs that correspond to a hard to understand
> > contrast mask, not the zone. Usually(?) in the dark regions, changes to
> > the
> > EV levels don't have any effect if you are outside of the mask's range of
> > levels. Even if you optimize the mask. Very frustrating. You can kinda
> > match the zone system results sometimes but after a much longer time of
> > fiddling. It just is not a more generalized substitute for the zone
> > system.
> > They behave differently.
> >
> > I'd appreciate it if the developers restored the zone system.
>
> color zones is still there, just hidden by default
> open an image in darkroom and just below the histogram is an input box
> where you can search for modules by name and maybe description.  type
> "zone" and see what you get.
>
> ps: rtfm, it will help you and will describe the change to tone equalizer
> and how to get color zones back.
>
> don't be down on the developers because you haven't read the very fine
> manual.

color zones != zone system

The "zone system" module is now deprecated, and planned to be removed for new
edits soon (it will stay in the code for existing edits, so there's no urgent
need to redo those).

Personally, I find the "tone equaliser" module at least as easy to use, once
you get a bit familiar with the masking part. The view of the different zones/
tonalities is more precise, imho.

Remco