Hi Terry,

Check out Bruce Williams excellent four part video series on new stuff in 3.4, he discusses the change of one of those modules to "surface blur"

Watch them all, time well spent.

Andrew

On 6/1/21 12:46 pm, Terry Pinfold wrote:

Hi Martin,
     I had read and have now reread the release notes https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/tag/release-3.4.0 and saw no mention of denoise modules being renamed. Maybe I am reading the wrong release notes? Previously there had been denoise bilateral filter and denoise non-local means and they seem to have gone but astrophoto denoise has appeared. Also, I tried to find the zone system and put it into one of my groups, but it does not appear in the search result when I am trying to manage my presets. I am using Windows 10 if this is relevant.

Thanks
*From:* Martin Straeten <martin.strae...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, 6 January 2021 10:53 AM
*To:* Terry Pinfold <tpinf...@gmail.com>
*Cc:* tanya.rise...@gmail.com <tanya.rise...@gmail.com>; darktable forum <darktable-user@lists.darktable.org> *Subject:* Re: [darktable-user] DT 3.4 no longer has zone system module (gone!) You can use zone system even it’s deprecated. You just need to put in into the group you want to find it. or access it by searching for it. Some further denoise modules weren’t removed but renamed - sometimes it’s worth to read release notes ..

Am 05.01.2021 um 23:45 schrieb Terry Pinfold <tpinf...@gmail.com>:

/"The developers should keep the zone system in my opinion."/
/
/
I would tend to agree with Tanya about keeping the zone system. While I much prefer the tone equalizer module over the zone system I feel having the choice to use or not use the zone system is best. What I really like about DT is the ability to have so many choices of modules to achieve your desired outcome. I can understand that modules may have to be deprecated if they can not be maintained or cause DT to not work correctly, but if this is not the case then I would agree that the zone system should be reinstated.

I was also surprised to see some noise reduction modules have disappeared in the latest version of DT. I did like the options of multiple modules for tackling different noise issues. But in saying that I am impressed with the improvements to the denoise (profiled) module, especially the chrominance only preset in the hamburger. I really appreciate the effort of all the developers for producing my favourite editing program, but please only deprecate modules if you really have to.
//
/Thanks Terry/