David Vincent-Jones schrieb am 17.01.21 um 19:00:
After using dt for many years I find myself totally confused with the latest filing system. I have always relied on a date based hierarchy and augmented with extensive tagging. I have used tags for both simple elements as well as 'projects'. I assume that what I called projects now forms the basis of collections. Being unable now to simply sort by folder hierarchy is really quite a nuisance.
not sure what you are puzzled about.
I'm on 3.4 stable and everything works like all the 6 years I use darktable now.

I have something like ~/archive/year/event and also most of the DAM is based on tags. When I select "Folder" in the collections module in lighttable I can browse through my folders ...

Collections simply are presets in the "Collect images" module
https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/lighttable/digital-asset-management/collections/

so ... nothing new to worry about ...

--

regards