* Bruce Williams <stu...@audio2u.com> [01-18-21 05:36]:
> Patrick,
> Thanks for the info, although I don't know how to create an alias. Do those
> commands go inside the bash script?
> Also, I followed your advice to create folders inside .config (except I
> called them darktable-3.4 and darktable-master) and then point the bash
> scripts to those folders.
> But when I launch darktable 3.4 from the bash script, it creates new
> library.db, data.db etc in .config/darktable (not the folder
> .config/darktable-3.4)

script ???

you must start dt from the command line using the command I provided but
changed to fit the way you named the config directories.  the following
command line invocations will accomplish that,

darktable --configdir ~/.config/darktable-3.4
darktable --configdir ~/.config/darktable-master

and library.db and data.db will be in the *correct* directories.

there is no script involved and any script that you used probably did not
have any idea of where you placed your new config directories.  it was
probably coded to default to the normail installation location, ie:
~/.config/darktable

again, to start and use darktable master version, invoke darktable from
the command line as:
  darktable --configdir ~/.config/darktable-master

to use darktable version 3.4:
  darktable --configdir ~/.config/darktable-3.4

note:  using "-" in directory or file names is ill advised and asking for
problems.

about "alias", your ~/.bashrc must provided for it and more, another
subject for another time.  please for now, forget it.

the commands above may be placed in scrpts to make it easier to call.  I
can help with that if you wish.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode