I created a blank.svg file and saved it to my watermarks.  I then created a
style using the blank.svg file, so when I want to remove the watermark, i
just apply the blank watermark style.  I'm thinking you could add the
framing module to your blank watermark style and apply that at the same
time.  You could then apply the style just on export, so your history stack
doesn't change on the file.