According to the Geeqie website, they only support…
3FR, ANI, APM, ARW, BMP, CR2, CRW, CUR, DNG, ERF, GIF, ICNS, ICO,
JPE/JPEG/JPG, JPS, KDC, MEF, MPO, MOS, MRW, NEF, ORF, PEF, PTX,
PBM/PGM/PNM/PPM, PNG, QIF/QTIF (QuickTime Image Format), RAF, RAW, RW2,
SR2, SRF, SVG/SVGZ, TGA/TARGA, TIF/TIFF, WMF, XBM, XPM

I think that I remember from before, that they did not support WebP.
Currently, unless otherwise requested, my final images are in WebP format.
Hence, Geeqie is not an option for me.

In the future, my workflow may possibly end with AVIF files. That is why I
am eager for things to advance in that direction. It may not happen, and
that is just fine, but considering the huge collab which exists within AOM,
it may be inevitable.

Sincerely,

Karim Hosein
Top Rock Photography