I'm beginning to think that the module order gods have been punking me since darktable 3.8 was released.  Yesterday I got the Ubuntu 20.04 release on my third machine and set about synchronizing the preferences.  Once again the module order came up in the display-referred mode despite me having set it to scene-referred in preferences - processing. This time I had all my preferences set identically, but doing the exit - restart routine did not achieve the desired result of having the modules in the scene-referred order.  Then I noticed that the module order in darkroom was set to "legacy".  Once that was reset to "v3.0 for RAW input", the modules regained their proper order.  So to all those devious module order gods, I'm onto you now, you sneaky rascals!

Willy Williams