* Bernhard <darkta...@intervalsignals.org> [01-11-22 02:22]:

> Patrick Shanahan schrieb am 10.01.22 um 22:50:
> > * Bernhard <darkta...@intervalsignals.org> [01-10-22 16:30]:

> > > The histogramm always is created from the jpg, not the RAW (nef in your
> > > case).
> > > So the deviation between the RAW shown in darktable and  the JPG depends
> > > on your camera settings
> > > (picture controls:
> > > https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/d850/en/13_image_enhancement_01.html)
> > > It's recommended to use FL to minimize deviation between RAW and JPG ...
> > >
> > what is "FL".  remember that almost all of the "picture control" camera
> > menu items are not in the raw image but in the generated jpg only.
> Just have a look at the manual page I referenced to ...
> And yes, but we are disussing deviations between image AND histogramm between
> JPG and RAW!!!

if I had found "FL", it would not have been necessary to ask.  I did not,
but I am trying to help you.  is it not to your benefit to help me to help
you.  does "FL" refer to Flat?

Nikon processes in camera the jpg file applying the prettiness settings
you selected in the camera menu settings, ie: Flat.  the raw is just that,
the RAW readings from the camera sensor, which you then process with dt to
achieve a result acceptable to you in the same manner that Nikon edits the
same raw to provide you the jpg output.

If you are more satisfied with the in-camera jpg, why are you bothering
with dt and why are you shooting raw?

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                   paka @ IRCnet oftc
What sort of day was it?                  A day like all days, filled with
those events that alter and illuminate our times...