Hi David,
     the information I have is that manufacturers set the exposure balance
to slightly underexpose, with most doing this to -0.3 EV. However,
photographers shooting in RAW, who don't care about the SOOC image, will
push the histogram as far to the right as possible to avoid clipping and to
reduce noise. I tend to be a bit conservative on this as when the histogram
nears clipping the saturation is reduced. Aurelien explains this in some of
his videos.

When I teach my photography students about histograms I tell them that if
they shoot in JPG (SOOC), then the histogram only confirms the bleeding
obvious that the picture is under or over exposed. However, I then show an
image and histogram of a picture taken in the middle of an Indian desert of
a fort with lots of haze. The picture looks washed out and over exposed. I
ask the students to put their hands up if they feel the image is
underexposed. Most students do not put their hands up, I can not remember
any student putting their hand up. But, then I raise my hand and say yes it
is. I then explain that the histogram is placed very central with plenty of
room to move to the right. There is no clipping and the histogram is very
narrow due to the atmospheric haze. I open the image in editing software
and use options such as levels to stretch the histogram wider and then
adjust the gamma and show how well the image can be processed to lift the
contrast and fix the exposure.

I might agree with you that I give camera manufacturers too much credit
that they want to protect the highlights. But, one of the challenges we
face is having people realise that the SOOC image is not necessarily how
the image should look or how it can best look. It is just the
manufacturer's algorithm producing a version of the scene.

Cheers