>  >…the image seems to be just fine at the end of my pixel pipeline.
> (Truth be told, I do not actually know what would happen IF I dropped the
> blacks into the negative).

I just did some experimentation, and I found out that some really bad stuff
happens when the numbers go negative, (depending on how the image is
exported), when I examine the areas outside my subjects which were clipped
into negative values.

As WebP, all the negative values seem to clip at zero. Any number that was
not negative has a real, non-zero value. The result is that, as one
approaches the darker part of the image, there is a sudden change from
nearly black to pitch black.

As AVIF, this phenomenon seems to disappear almost entirely in 8-bit mode,
and virtually gone in 12-bit mode.

As JPEG-JFIF, the issue affects more than just near-black to black, but
also other hues in the  shadows, making sudden jumps from, say, a dark
shade of green, to perhaps a dark shade of maroon, to pitch black . This,
of course, may be because the JPEG-JFIF compression algorithm favours
colour accuracy in the highlights versus the shadows.

Nevertheless, crushing the blacks into negative values may have undesired
consequences. I may not have noticed before due to one or more of the
following

   1. the clipping was never on my subject, so not really noticed.
   2. I mostly export to WebP
   3.  Our eyes see more details in the midtones/highlights, and our brains
   filter-out/fills-in the details of the shadows, so the phenomenon is not
   noticed.

I must say, though, on the JPEG-JFIF, it was obvious to me. (On the others,
I had to specifically study the shadows to notice).

Sincerely,

Karim Hosein
Top Rock Photography
754.999.1652