Hi David,
       Aurélien who created this module points out this will happen when
noise is present in the image. I recommend using denoise profiled from the
start to prevent this issue. Apply denoise and then retry the filmic auto
settings. Also the automatic options are not always the best, but they
often make a nice starting point.