Thanks for the suggestions.

With respect, your observation is clearly easy for you to say, but (and I have a LOT of experience on this) not so easy for me to do. The explanation (aside from the opinion oft expressed by others that I'm chronically, endemically and terminally stupid) is indeed simple: those who write the instructions on how to compile have to write for a general audience and so make assumptions - sadly often wrong - about my computing environment and my ability to comprehend those instructions. The latter factor reflects the fact that they are written by obviously technically competent authors who are also subject matter experts (but not necessarily writers), writing for people like themselves - who, by very definition, do not need such instructions. Those instructions are, in consequence, usually inaccessible and inapplicable to people like myself.

A significant part of the compile process is the handling of compilation errors; here the documentation is frequently inadequate, depending on a level of detailed knowledge and understanding which is beyond the average Linux application user. They are typified by impossible to parse scenarios which have an explanation of the nature of: "Oh, didn't we tell you about dependencies abc, hij, opq (which is incompatible with def, as long as you have, or, possibly, have not, included rst) and xyz (but not in version 2.99)? Sorry about that."

Oh, maybe I'm just too old and lacking a sense of humour....