When "on import" is flagged, a basic xmp is created.

As soon as you edit, that info is passed from the db to the xmp.

Try this simple test:

 * import image filexxx.dng
 * cat filexxx.dng.xmp
 * if you haven't changed defaults, will read: xmp:Rating="1"
 * now change rating to 3 stars.
 * again, cat filexxx.dng.xmp
 * now you will read: xmp:Rating="3"

Back to my problem, I did this test on a different Ubuntu 22.04 box:

 * deleted all xmp
 * imported all images again
 * check: the new xmp carry the edits

So this looks like a possible workaround.

I was looking for a way to do it from command line but did not find anything so far.