Hi Guillermo

Yes the original and all duplicates were in the database before making
the new duplicate.

Regards
Dusenberg

On 25/07/2023 15:03, Guillermo Rozas wrote:
Hi,
were the original and all the duplicates present in the database
before making the duplicate?
Regards,
Guillermo

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 5:57 AM Dusenberg <dusenb...@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

    Originally posted to darktable-dev list in error.

    dt 4.2.1 (OBS), Linux Mint 21,Ubuntu 22.04 jammy

    I have an image from March 2020 developed in darktable. I went
    back to it today to try another edit on it (its a monochrome
    rendition that I just can't get 'right').

    However, today when I created a duplicate of this 2020 image in dt
    4.2.1, it was given version number '3' - which already exists for
    that image (there are seven pre-existing duplicates). I see that
    dt has also given the new duplicate a different 'image id' to the
    original RAW image. I've never seen this before, although its not
    often I go back in time like this.

    My workflow is that I always create a new version (duplicate) of
    the base RAW for a different edit so I can trace back any final
    output that may result. My filenaming system is
    filename is composed of '<YYYYMMDD_projectname_original camera
    filename>'.  Original camera images are renamed during download
    onto my workstation via a bespoke script (ie outside dt).  I use
    variables in the dt export module to ensure any output follows
    this format.  This provides unique identification of every image
    and its derivatives across my libraries, even when intermediate
    tiffs are involved in say, focus stacks.

    This is critical for me - I can't have two different edits of a
    RAW with the same filename!  Why has it happened and what can I do
    about it?

    Thanks