Guillermo,

Answers to your questions:

a) xmp's are named '<project
name>_<camerafilename>_<$VERSION>.RAWextension.xmp'
    eg:
original raw: '20200325_BonallyWoods_NIK_1413.NEF'
     version 3 xmp: '20200325_BonallyWoods_NIK_1413_03.NEF.xmp'

b)  I've checked the files and the new duplicate '3' has overwritten the
existing xmp for the previous version 3. Also all xmp files in that
group new have new modified dates -    24 July 2023, when I created the
new duplicate

Also I didn't mention that the NIK_1413 RAW and duplicates are in a
single group.

Thanks for your time.
Dusenberg