On 30/7/23 19:46, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
Hi Greig,

On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 14:58:48 +1000
Andrew Greig <and...@algphoto.com.au> wrote:

Dear all,

I have read the chapter in the Fine Manual on tethering, but I have
an issue with the system capturing the camera before darktable can
assert itself. If I am lucky the icon for the attached camera appears
on my Linux Mint Desktop, then I can unmount the camera and get
darktable to mount it. It appearsĀ  in lsusbĀ  as Easy Camera.

My best case scenario would be to make darktable the default, and the
heck with anything else. But that is beyond my skill level.

I am hoping to run a ZOOM meeting on Thursday night where a tethered
camera is required.

The easiest way is to wait to connect the camera until Darktable is
started and in case you need to work with the camera in another program
then disconnect the camera before starting Darktable.

The problem is that connecting a device to a program is like bluetooth
- when one device are connected connections to other devices are
   blocked. In technical terms these connections are 1 - 1.

Thanks Michael,

I have received this link which will answer my problem and probably minimise the issues when DT drops the connection
it involves adding a custom udev rule and using a script to activate it.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/640765/disable-auto-mount-of-only-camera-sdcard-on-usb-connection

Cheers

Andrew