Hello all,

Have any one of you guys wondered about how hard it'd be to implement
something similar to LRTimelapse ?
For those of you not aware of what this is, it's an additional app that
looks at xmp files from LR. It looks first within a folder with hundreds of
pics for a timelapse (in real life), at those images with only 5 stars. In
this exemple let's say we only have 5 images for our timelapse.
Let's imagine that we only have 2 of those, the first and the last, rated 5
stars. and let's also assume there is only one module with one parameter
that has changed : exposure.
This app would look at the first 5 stars rated image and see the exposure
value of +0.5, and the second with a value of +0.9 hypothetically.
It would then look at how many images there are in between in the folder
(those not rated 5 stars) and divide the difference of the current setting
by the number of pics that sit in between these. 5 pics total minus the 2
rated 5 stars leaves us with 3.
So in this toy example we only have 3 photos in between the key images (5
stars), then we have
- difference in exposure : 0.9 - 0.5 = 0.4
- 4 pics to arrive at that 0.9 value if we start from the first one : 0.4 /
4 = 0.1 incremental step of exposure to be applied.
it would build xmp files for the 3 non 5 star rated pic with exposure
values respectively of 0.6, 0.7 and 0.8. The first one being 0.5, and the
last 0.9.
This is assuming we have a linear progression, but I'm sure you can imagine
other types than linear.

The idea is to adjust every parameter for the pics in between key images (5
stars pics) so that in the end for the timelapse, there are smooth
transitions for every setting, exposure is usually one.

Hopefully this little example makes sense ? The concept is I think easy to
understand : avoid editing possibly thousands of pictures with varying
needs in editing. You would only edit key images, and then it would ensure
smooth transitioning for all the in-between images, working out the
incremental steps it needs to put for every single setting to ensure that.

I've used that a lot during my time with LR, and I've been thinking about
bringing this capability into DT.

Food for thoughts at this stage, and of course happy to discuss this
further. I'm sure there will be many obstacles in making that a feature,
but isn't it also the challenge ? :)

PS: LRtimelapse goes a little bit beyond this, but let's start "simple".

Cheers,
Sébastien