Paranoia (at least when I was testing it) doesnt stop you from
destroying the rows - it mostly just affects the getters to add and
paranoiddeleted=0.  So that @user.items only loads items where
paranoiddeleted=0.  You need to make your controller's destroy method
set paranoiddeleted=1 instead of calling destroy to work with it.

I this will let you talk to the datastore directly, though I haven't
tested it much:

DataMapper.repository(:default).adapter.execute("my sql") -
use .select to get the result and turn it into structs, but doesnt
work for updates/etc.

Regarding the loading issue - maybe try referring to it as
Types::ParanoidDateTime, though that shouldn't be required.

Try making a testing.rb script that *just* loads datamapper and your
models and see if it might be something in merb.  The "Types"
namespace might be used by something else?

Good luck,
Kevin