On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Nisha Thompson
<nisha.thomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you think it is a good idea for us to become more formal?

Finally! Yes. I think it is a good idea. I do not think the group is
becoming more formal just that we are creating a formal structure to
carry out activities of this group, informal as hey may be. The formal
structure is important - to do thing that only entities can do
especially around creating events and partnerships etc.

> Do you think a Trust is best?

Depends on many things. In general, a trust has a lower level of
administrative work as it just has a set of trustees. A society is
more inclusive and can have members and what not but then there is the
whole thing of elections etc. I see no need for the latter and am
happy with it being a trust.

> What other things can we do as an official entity besides throw events?

Create partnerships. Build brands. Raise money. Hire people. Et. al.

> As we try to figure out the nuts and bolts of filling out paperwork and
> getting it worked out. Do any of you have any particular experience with
> forming a Trust? Any advice to give regarding how to proceed. That would be
> really helpful.

Me. Sadly. Advice - use a consultant. Will link you up with one, if so required.

--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/