A trust can be formed pretty quickly, and can take donations, yes.
I know of others who plan to launch "analytics" societies. Think about
whether the datameet group would find it useful to join forces with them.
Would be happy to discuss when you're back in India.

Regards,
Rahul Saxena
Bangalore, India
Mobile: +91 (998) 013-9950