Khaliq:

I have seen similar materials for karnataka and tamil nadu (including also the village amenities directory, which is a mine of information).

You are right that if one is to buy this for the whole state, it is quite a bit of money.

But the bigger tragedy is (as I had said in a post not so long ago) that Census has, in its 2011 exercise, also created a GIS division that has converted all the boundaries in your pdf file to GIS format, and also gone and mapped down to the level of individual dwellings in many cities. They boast about this in a ppt that is available online which I had circulated, but they do not respond to any requests to make this GIS data base available (for free or for payment).

Sharad