On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

> The base object should have the option of not being tied to any
> particular timezone, even UTC, so that the data-returning methods do
> no adjustment.  For instance, if I take my wife out to dinner at 7PM
> on our anniversary every year, I do so at that local time whether we
> are in Seattle or Baltimore.  One of the flaws of Date::ICal has been
> that it has a particular timezone and can't represent this kind of
> date (pun intended).  The iCalendar spec calls this a "floating" time
> and differentiates it from a UTC time or a time w/timezone (or a date
> without a time).

Let's say that if you create a DateTime object with specifying a timezone,
it just uses UTC.  Wouldn't that achieve the same effect?  In other words,
if you created a datetime of "2002-12-15 19:00:00" and never changed the
timezone associated with it, then it would always represent 6PM on that
date.

The timezone is only relevant when have multiple dates to deal with, or
you're changing an existing date (add 1 day).  If you have a single
datetime and it neither interacts with other datetime objects nor does it
change, then the timezone is irrelevant.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com